How do I tell if my Black Maran eggs are fertile?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bwalden, Feb 23, 2012.

1. bwalden

bwalden Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Arkansas
    I've got a dozen Black Copper Maran eggs in the bator. It's day 7 so i candled them. i've hatched eggs in a bator many times before but not these dark Maran eggs. I did purchase these from a breeder and they were shipped USPS. Even through the seller is in the same state as myself i'm a little worried the eggs may have been shaken too much during shipping. i candeled them all before setting and had no visable cracks or damage. it does appear there is a dark area inside the egg but i cannot tell if its the yolk or if there is more??? Any suggestions would help.

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

If they hatch, they were fertile. [​IMG]

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    LOL, Kathy,..

bwalden, its very hard with marans eggs,.. you need a really good small pocket LED flashlight,...
    Look for different shades inside the egg and later on any little movements...
    You can also maybe weigh them,... if they weigh more in a few days, there may be a baby growing inside...

4. kathyinmo

Red,
    During incubation the egg will lose weight if it is growing a chick.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA

LOL! I knew that , i was just testing you.... yeeeeeah, thats it,.. :lau LMBO

Okay so scratch the weight thingie,.... just stick with the good flashlight,... :oops:

ETA: No wonder i cant ever hatch anything, I'm clueless..!!! :rant

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  6. kathyinmo

7. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    It is sooo frustrating trying to see if anything is growing inside marans eggs. Soon you will be able to get an idea. If the egg glows reddish..nothin. If there is a big dark mass... good chance there is a baby. I have given up trying to really see anything else but a dark blob.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  8. bwalden

Jan 16, 2012
    Arkansas

Well thanks for your insite on this. I'll try them again maybe around day 14 and see if there seems to be any changes. I've always looked forward to candeling an egg and seeing the embryo developing. It is frustrating but I will just have to hope for the best. Trying to locate a breeder within a reasonable driving distance of me so that if I dont have a good hatch I may drive and pick some up myself so I know how they have been handeled.

9. bwalden

Jan 16, 2012
    Arkansas
    none of my shipped eggs hatched. only one developed. I think perhaps i had incubator issues.... :(

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by