How do I tell if my hens have worms and how do I treat it?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Russo's Roost, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Russo's Roost

Russo's Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Morrisville VT
    I think I remember reading once that if you put some of your chicken manure in a container and let it sit you will see if there are worms in it.
    After I clean the coop 3 times a day it all goes in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid on it and when it is about half full it all goes to the compost pile on the other side of my property. Today I noticed for the first time a bunch of things that look like sesame seeds crawling around in the inside of the buckett.
    Does this mean my hens have worms or is this just a by product of chicken $#!+ in a closed buckett?
    If they do have worms what is recommended as treatment? They all look healthy and happy escept for one who has no feathers on her back and sholders, I have been blaming my rooster for this and it has beenthat way since the spring, at least 3 months and the feathers haven't grown back so I am wondering if there is something else going on like worms. I am hoping that when they molt this fall her full coat will come back, any thoughts?

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Could it be mites or lice? Not sure about the worms.

3. Russo's Roost

Russo's Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Morrisville VT
    I have checked carefully for both mites and lice and I haven't seen any evidence of either.
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by