1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how do i tell the chickies gender?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by :D chicken, Mar 29, 2009.

1. :D chicken

:D chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    i am new to the chicken world and i can only have girl chickies so i just wanted to know if there were early signs on baby chickies that can tell what gender they are i mean they are all supposed to be girls but does the sharpness of there claws have anything to do with it or does it make a diff if they have a little raised bump on the back of there leg like the rooster claw thingis i have no idea and i am just looking for advice post something here or send me a message or sumthing cuz i really want to know everything i can about chickens [​IMG] thanx 4 ur help!

[​IMG]

2. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Hello [​IMG] Chicken [​IMG] Most female chickens have a little bump on the back of their leg - like where the spur on a rooster would be. How old are your chicks? If they are just a few weeks old, that little bump won't be an indicator of the sex.

Knowing the age of your chicks may help answer your question, but in general, depending on the breed of your chicks, they will be several weeks old before you know for sure. I know that stinks - we ALL want to know the sex of our chickens right away! But hang in there. And enjoy your chicks!

Penny

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    How old are they?
    What breed?
    Rooster bump thingy? A spur?

4. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    You probably are not going to be able to tell until they are 6~8 weeks old and the comb and waddles start to develope. Even then, some breeds, such as EEs, will take even longer, as the combs are still not a distinguishing feature, until they are much older. Sometimes, roostes will develope sturdier legs and stand more upright, but, I wouldn't count on that as a true indicator of gender, unless you have had some experience raising that particular breed. Good luck to you. and:welcome

5. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    leg bumps = spurs. And you can never determine a male from a female that way. Cause all chickens have them. Depending on the breed some are born a different color then the opposite gender. Its really hard to tell and even experts get it wrong some times. So the best thing to do is just wait it out and see what they start to look like as they age.

6. skooterbumm

skooterbumm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    Waco, TX
    my chicks are 38 days old tomorrow, I have 1 with a pronounced comb.... safe to say a roo

7. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Remember there are some colors/breeds that can be identified by sex-linked traits. . . salmon Faverolles, barred Rocks (and some other breeds with the barred color pattern), and golden cuckoo Marans are among these, but there are several more.

8. skooterbumm

skooterbumm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    Waco, TX
    this is a Black Australourpe(sp) chick. I have 10 BA's and 10 BO's this one chick has a large comb compared to all the others

9. :D chicken

:D chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    thank u everybody who has been helpful to respond to my question about the chicken's spurs and just to let u know my chickies are probly only a few weeks old because we got them from the grange and they were about the same size a little smaller than they are now and some of my chickies have very pronounced combs like by buff orpington sparky my arcaunas lizzy and dizzy and my plymouth rocks dot and indi but i mean thanx again i was getting a little worried about them cuz i cant keep the roos but now i am reassured now that they will all turn out good. keep posting info and i will keep checking
    [​IMG]

10. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Quote:If, you look at it and say to yourself "Holy crap! Look at the size of that comb!", It's probably a roo. That doesn't mean some of your others won't turn out to be roos, too. Some develope a little slower than others. Good luck to you.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by