How do I tell the difference between a fryer and a pullet. Egg Laying?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by starck5, May 20, 2008.

1. starck5

starck5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    What if the place where the feed mill orders the chickens from gave me fryer chicks instead of laying pullets. How can I tell the difference.

[​IMG]

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I don't have experience with fryers - but they would grow very fast I think....
    give it a few weeks and post pic's to confirm the breed.

3. jdr250

jdr250 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2008
    Well, I'm new at this, but I have 3 meat chicks and one leghorn. For the first three days they looked almost exactly alike. But then you will notice the meat chickens get huge very quickly. By day 4 they were almost double the width of the leghorn. Now at week 3 there is no question they are enormous and they spend most of their time eating (they actually sleep with their heads in the food) and pooping. You will know.

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    "...and they spend most of their time eating (they actually sleep with their heads in the food) and pooping."
    Some lovely imagery, right there.

5. jdr250

jdr250 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2008
    Sorry it does sound funny now that I read it again LOL, but it is the truth. They are complete gluttons.

6. starck5

starck5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    Sounds like I got a broiler. The eat a lot. They actually lay down when the eat and drink. I think it is cuz the are to big for their little legs.

They are 3 wks now and double to triple the size of the brown and black chicks. DANG IT<

7. Shaun Hagan

Shaun Hagan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Northern NH
    The yellow chicks you have look a lot like my Cornish X chicks. Probably Broilers. Have a nice chicken dinner in 8 weeks!

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  8. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Looks like you have broilers there. 8 weeks til BBQ. In a few weeks you will want to seperate them the broilers get messy and require more cleaning out.

9. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Did you specify layers? If so, and you don't want to deal with them, I would take them back to the feed store and see if they have any more layer chicks you can swap with. What a bummer.....

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    A fryer is just a small chicken - usually an unwanted male that is processed young to be very tender when 'fried'.

Looking at your photo it seems you got something along the lines of a cornish x rock - a nice meat bird if you are inclined to process them at about 8 weeks.

They do eat like a powerhouse. They also can die very easily with very little warning. When they are two weeks old separate the big boys out and feed them on a schedule. they will eat everything in sight leaving very little for others and canliterally eat themselves to death.

I took the food away form mine at night and only let the meat birds have water at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by