1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I tell the difference between a Welsummer Pullet & Cock?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by turtleshell, Jan 24, 2010.

1. turtleshell

turtleshell Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2010
    Gympie, Qld, Australia
    Hi, can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between a young Welsummer Pullet & Cock? I have a Welsummer that we bought as a chick. It was supposed to be a pullet but now at about 12-15 wks, it is starting to get green feathers in its tail and at the base of its neck. I am starting to wonder if we have got ourselves a cock?

2. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    you may. The females have a sort of speckledy brown body, whereas the cocks have solid red black and green feathers. if it has solid colored red feathers on the back, it is a rooster. Sorry.

3. turtleshell

Jan 15, 2010
    Gympie, Qld, Australia
    When it first got its feathers they were speckledy brown, it looked just like the pictures I had looked at, but she (or he) has started to change. The feathers on the back are red, but there is a darker colour, near black mixed in there. Her neck is the same dark colour and so is the tail. But these dark areas on the neck and tail are developing green feathers. She (or he) doesn't look anything like the photos that I have looked at. Its either developing the rooster colouring or it hasn't been purebreed.

4. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Sounds very much like a rooster.

Here are some pictures of my rooster growing up, for reference:

Day 1:
    [​IMG]

About a week, I think:
    [​IMG]

About two weeks (see the dark feathers starting just forward of the wings):
    [​IMG]

Maybe 4 weeks; it's really obvious at this point (sorry I can't remember the exact dates on these; I'm working on what's already uploaded as I'm on my work laptop at the moment):
    [​IMG]

Here's one of the ladies at the same time, for comparison:
    [​IMG]

16 weeks, next to one of the Wellie girls (Edit: here's me not paying attention -- he's next to BOTH of the Wellie girls):
    [​IMG]

Now:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  5. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I have some pics of my Welsummers at about that age.

Here are the girls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They do have black in the tail, but it's not the glossy green black that roosters get. No black feathers in the neck area either. Just black markings on goldish feathers.

Here are the roosters.

[​IMG]

(Ignore the girl on the right. Look at the four roosters on the left. They are about 15 weeks old in this pic.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a younger roo, about 12 weeks old. He is losing his speckledy brown body feathers and growing in dark red feathers on the body. That's a girl right in front of him, with head cut off walking out of the picture. She's brown, he's red.

[​IMG]

Hope that was helpful! [​IMG]

6. turtleshell

Jan 15, 2010
    Gympie, Qld, Australia
    Thanks everyone. Photos have been very helpful. I think I have a rooster. [​IMG] darn........ Can't have roosters where I am. Suppose it makes room for one more hen though.[​IMG]

7. turtleshell

Jan 15, 2010
    Gympie, Qld, Australia
    Here is a photo. What do you think? Rooster?
    Ok, no photo. How do you insert an image.....................

8. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    You need to upload photo to BYC. Link is next to Recent Posts up top in blue. Then copy and paste.

9. jaboo81

jaboo81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2009
    New Braunfels TX
    Good looking pics. I do love that wels breed!

10. MissAnnieFrannie

MissAnnieFrannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    East TN
    lauralou, off topic, your SLW are beautiful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by