How do i tell the sex of my quail? and when can i put them outside?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by redhen, Mar 4, 2009.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Hi, i have Texas A&M's, they are about 6 weeks old now. i want to start to seperate them, and keep some for breeding (how many of each should i keep?) what is the female/male ratio? and how can i tell what sex they are? and also..when can they go outside? [​IMG] i am in Mass., so still pretty cold here...thanks for any help, Wendy

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I keep my birds in trios and quads (1 male for 2 to 3 females)

when they are fully feathered you can move them around may want to start adjusting them by not having a heat lamp all the time or raising it more and more

Those are harder to tell but the hens will be the ones laying the eggs [​IMG] no really that is the way I tell...I put them in seperate pens and the ones that give me eggs get one color band and the boys get another that way I can tell them apart later. You can also artificially stimulate the boys or listen for crowing

3. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:hello Teach, and thanks! i have heard crowing *if you want to call it that...* its like cat in heat call... [​IMG] but i cant tell whos doing it.. how do i artificially stimulate them? UGH! that should be some fun.... [​IMG]

4. linebacker

linebacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2007
    North West Tennessee
    The boys will bob their head before they crow. It looks like they are craning their neck to look over something.
    I move mine into an unheated garage by the time they are two weeks old, but still with a heat lamp until they are 6 weeks olds.
    I'm still not going to put mine outside here in Tennessee for at least another month. I know a lot of people leave them out all winter, but I provide artificial light to keep up egg production. So it's more about daytime length then for temperature worries for me.

Brad

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    thanks brad, i'll look for that head bob!

6. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    someone metioned a white foam?? how i see that? what do i do? *maybe i dont want to know?* [​IMG]

7. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:Yes look for the foam. when they are mating you will start to see little daps here and there. Turn them over one by one rub the vent, the males will "foam" the females not. Just make sure the neighbors aren't around and if they show up don't tell them you are "exciting" your quail. [​IMG]

Steve in NC

8. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    Also, it is only weird if you enjoy it...

9. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Yes look for the foam. when they are mating you will start to see little daps here and there. Turn them over one by one rub the vent, the males will "foam" the females not. Just make sure the neighbors aren't around and if they show up don't tell them you are "exciting" your quail. [​IMG]

Steve in NC

thanks! ummm, maybe i'll have hubby do this chore... [​IMG] what age do i do it at??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by