How do i tell when my hens are ready to lay???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lickenchicken, Jan 14, 2013.

1. lickenchicken

lickenchicken New Egg

Dec 30, 2012
    My hens are around 15 weeks old now and i was wondering what the tell tale signs are of when they will be ready to lay? Here are a few recent pics of the ladies. Can anyone help me?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any advice/help anyone can give me would be muchly appreciated :)
    Thanks you.x

2. Comeonbroodyhen

Comeonbroodyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Just wondering but what breed are they. Are they EE'S or amerecauna's ??:D

3. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I know how you feel, you can't wait, but you have to be patient. They are no where near laying maturity. The earliest you will likely see eggs is 25 weeks and usually closer to 30. Their comb and wattles will get much larger and red. They will often do the 'squat' which is when they squat low to the ground and hold their wings out a little when someone comes near them.

Their egg production system needs to mature so the best thing is patience. The best answer anyone can give you as to when they will lay is...when they are ready to. ;-)

4. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

the earliest they usually lay is at 18 week, the odd bird will lay before that. most birds start at 20 weeks or older. before they lay the comb and wattles will get larger, and bright red, they usually squat, or bend down when you come to them, this usually starts right a week or so before they lay. also, it is normal for a hen to get noisier before laying

5. lickenchicken

lickenchicken New Egg

Dec 30, 2012
    Im not entirely sure on the breed but many have told me that they are red sexlinks or golden comets. :)

6. Comeonbroodyhen

Apr 23, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    My next guess would probably of been red sexlink lol

7. lickenchicken

lickenchicken New Egg

Dec 30, 2012
    Thank you all for your reply's. Great info. And thank you for your help:) Im not in any hurry for eggs i jsut like to know these things and be ready for it :)

8. Comeonbroodyhen

Apr 23, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    X 2 with salt and pepper And. Epeloquin when there face gets bright red and they start to squat

9. jesusR

jesusR New Egg

Jul 6, 2011
    my pullets lay close to 8 months old or 9 months old for me
    Hope this will help

10. Comeonbroodyhen

Apr 23, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I guess it depends on what breed you have, some breeds take longer to mature such as chanteclares ( sorry for my spelling ) and some breeds lay right on 6 months or earlier such as a hybrid layer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by