How do I train chicks to lay in boxes not sleep in them?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ldutch123, Nov 24, 2011.

1. ldutch123

ldutch123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    I know I am jumping the gun a little bit but I have 12 week old hens and im wondering how to teach them not to sleep in the nest boxes? Any ideas or is this just something they learn naturally? The majority sleep on the roosts already but a few hang out in the boxes.

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    1 - make sure the roosts are higher than the nest boxes and that there is enough room on them for all the birds

2 - if no one is laying right now, block off the nest boxes until they get closer to laying age

Thats my 2 cents [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yay Chicks! :

1 - make sure the roosts are higher than the nest boxes and that there is enough room on them for all the birds

2 - if no one is laying right now, block off the nest boxes until they get closer to laying age

Thats my 2 cents [​IMG]

Ditto.​

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

X3

5. ldutch123

ldutch123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    I am blocking the boxes off today. Also the roosts start low and get high. Thanks for the advice. [​IMG]

6. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Same advice....

and when they get really close, unblock the boxes, throw a few fake eggs, or golf balls in there...I had to put a material curtain in front
    of my boxes, so they would go inside....

Also keeping them locked in for a few extra hours, will keep them from making hidden nests all over the place....

7. eggcamefirst

eggcamefirst Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2010
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    My rooster and a few hens did that for a week or so. I would go out at night and physically move them to the roosts. Did that for 3 nights then he started roosting with the girls...

8. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    Hello!,
    recently I added a couple more hens to my existing flock, everyone got confused about were to sleep, (most ended up on the ground) so I would go out every night and plop them on there roost. It worked!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by