how do I train teh cat to leave the hens alone?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chickiemom25, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    The 1 yo neightbor cat is much more intelligent than their newest cat.. The roughly 3 month old keeps going aftere the hens. My room mate reports she consistently gets pecked.. like 8 times in a day. Yet when she sees them and I am home, she chases them around the yard. Any advise?

2. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Let the cat deal with teh rooster as teh rooster will teach teh cat a lesson not to mess with his wives (hens).

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Train a Cat.................. did I read that right ??....................... good luck with that [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Chickiemom25

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:Can't have roosters here unfortunately.. jsut hens:(

5. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Quote:Can't have roosters here unfortunately.. jsut hens:(

I wonder if you are allowed to have peafowl or guineafowl or turkeys? They can chase away a cat that isn't smart.

6. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    I had a young cat, 6 months old, he continually pursued my chickens. He didn't really seem like he wanted to hurt them, but he sure loved chasing them. One day he snuck in the run after me, I spotted him right away just inside the gate. I grabbed a handful of scratch and threw it around him. You shoulda seen how high that litte toot jumped when all those hens converged on him! [​IMG] Couldn't get out of the way fast enough. Hasn't chased a chicken since.[​IMG]

7. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    My outside cats knew better than to mess with my chickens because there are feral chickens around here but the inside were unaware and wanted to have fun aggravating the chickens playing chase. I sat outside in a chair near the chickens with a sprayer on the hose. Every time the cat would start to chase them I would squirt them with the hose. I never said a word. They now think the chickens squirt water.
    sharon

8. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Quote:Exactly! Water is a cat trainers best friend. Trained both of my cats to leave my cockatiel alone with nothing more than a squirt bottle of water. Works like a charm.

9. Chickiemom25

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:sounds like a grat Idea.. I better go get a nozzle. Thanks

10. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Both of my outside cats hung out with the chickens. My oldest cat, Piggy, now deceased, would lay down and the chickens would gather around him. Once in a while, he would pounce at them, they would run and he would lay back down. Soon, they would gather back around, as if to say, we know you were kidding. My other outside kitty, Psycho baby, will nudge them out of the way, when we sit on the glider. Chicken will hop up and sit by me, and she will try to sit by me also. Wish I had a picture. My kitties and chickies cohabitate quite well. Once in a while, I will see a feral cat watching my girls outside their fence. I know it is there because all 23 chickens are staring at it. So far, I have never had a problem. I like the water idea. If I do have a problem, I will try that. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by