How do I transport lots of roosters?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mamabahre, May 4, 2011.

1. mamabahre

mamabahre Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    If I am going to be transporting multiple roosters at once how do I do it? They are going to be processed at the end of the trip so I don't need long term transportation for them. Just for up to a few hours at most.
    Do they all have to be completely separated the whole time to prevent fighting? I.E a large dog crate with multiple roosters in it would be BAD?!

2. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    How are you keeping them now?
    Are they seperated or all in 1 pen?

I would put them all in a box/cage that is just big enough for them with very little space for movement.
    If you have a dominate one put him seperately.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

They very well could fight. I've had roosters that have gotten along perfectly well in the same pen, but when I caged them to take to the auction they tried to kill each other.

4. mamabahre

Apr 6, 2011
    Hmm there are a couple single Roosters, I have crates for them. Then the rest are ALL coming from the same farm as part of the same quite large flock. I was thinking in the large dog crate since it is a short ride but I don't want them to hurt each other too badly. I was hoping they'd be afraid of the drive enough to try to not kill each other for an hour:/

5. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    I would think they would be scared a bit, but I would cover the cage in a darkening cloth to keep the more aggressive boys calmer... Well actually I would just process them myself... Avoid all the fuss! [​IMG] You might have to do it someday... why not now?

6. mamabahre

Apr 6, 2011
    Quote:Actually that is what they are for!!
    I am picking them up and then they are getting the ax pretty quick. Hence they don't need to be in the cages for a long time. Just long enough to get to their final destination...

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Hey, your project to take unwanted rooster sounds like it is working well for you. Congratulations.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I too would cover the cage/kennel/etc to make it dark, that should keep them calmer, anyway.

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I transported 25 roosters in 10 cardboard boxes with holes cut into it for air... in that little red 2 door coupe in my avatar. LOL

I didn't have any fighting problems because they was just enough room for them to turn around and they were pretty out of their element. Their total travel time was about 3 hours.

10. mamabahre

Apr 6, 2011
    Quote:Yes it is!
    I am really impressed, I posted 2 CL ads, one for Maine and one for NH and people were very kind in their responses.

I was super clear that these birds are strictly dinner. I also basically said they are to feed my family and would be much appreciated. As I said before I am getting some this weekend from another BYCer as well...

I did have one nasty email from a lady who yelled at me for being too poor to buy meat but not too poor to "steal" other people's birds....Crazy lady..

Anyway, I could very well end up with 30 free roosters by the end of the weekend. My head is swirling with the amount of delicious homemade stock I can make with all those bones!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by