How do I treat a hen with really bad vent gleet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ruby Mia, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Ruby Mia

Ruby Mia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    One of my hens have been suffering with vent gleet for a while and I just read online to give her yogurt with apple cider vinigar and molasses and I was just wondering if that will work and also how long to give them to her. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

X2. You may very well have more going on here then vent gleet and this looks very uncomfortable for this bird. Yogurt, ACV and molasses are not going to solve this problem.

5. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    Thanks for the replies, we contacted the vet about a week ago and are just waiting for a reply. Hopefully they can give us something to help her! [​IMG]

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If I called a vet and it took him a week to call me back, I would be finding another vet. Actually if it took him more than a couple of hours, I would be calling another vet. But, I am just like that. ......

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    X2.

-Kathy

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I agree, if it takes a week for them to call back then, in my opinion, they really aren't interested in you or your bird. This also is not something that can be handled over the phone, the bird needs to be seen. This bird needs some kind of help right away, either a diagnosis and treatment started if there is any treatment for whatever she has, or to be culled.

9. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    Thankyou, we will definitely get her into a vets straight away!

10. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    Update: Turns out that its not vent gleet, but a tumor. She's very happy at the moment and the vet said she will be fine until the skin breaks causing infection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by