How do I treat a spayed chicken, nutrition-wise?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pawsplus, Jun 24, 2011.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    So my 6 year old Olivia will be getting spayed on Tuesday due to recurring egg-yolk peritonitis problems (more info at this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=525411&p=1 ).

Given that she lives w/ 2 oher hens who are still laying eggs w/ some degree of regularity, I'm not sure I can do much in the way of treating her differently nutritionally . . . but will it be detrimental to her to get added calcium? B/c Clarice and Svetlana will still need it, of course, and she will not. She'll be more like a pre-layer chick, perhaps?

I know there isn't much actual experience out there w/ spayed chickens. [​IMG] Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I'll be honest that I did not know it was even possible to spay! But given your concerns about calcium, what about doing what people with mixed age flocks do, and feed them all Flock Raiser with some oyster shell on the side for the laying hens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by