How Do I Treat This Big of a Coop for Scaly Leg Mites (With Limited Time)?

Disintegration

Songster
Nov 5, 2020
Northwest Arkansas
I took a break from the forum while I moved my chickens into their coop. Now my chickens look like they have early signs of leg mites. The edges of their scales are peeling and starting to raise slightly. I've got today and tomorrow (I've got school during the week) to clean out my coop and start treating my chickens. The chickens are at my Dad's house, I'm here this weekend and Monday/Tuesday afternoon so I'm short on the amount of time I have to do this. My Dad would probably be fine with helping on the days that I'm not at his house but I'll still need to do most of the work and have this figured out before I go to my Mom's house. I know you need certain sprays with certain chemicals in them to get rid of mites, but I don't have any at the moment. I got the wrong kind of mite spray when I was getting stuff to prepare for my chickens. Do they have the kind of chemical needed at tractor supply or Atwoods? or is it a thing I'll have to order online and treat in 2 weeks?

Also, my coop is really big. It's essentally an old shed and is like 12 feet tall at its tallest point. How do I treat such a big coop? The entire task seems really daunting. My bantam rooster is being bullied and my large fowl rooster's crop is huge and hard, I think it might be impacted. Maybe I'm just paranoid and there really isn't any issue? Should I post pictures? I don't know how to balance all three of these things at once with limited time?

Sorry this sound so choppy and messy. I'm really tired and I've looked over my post multiple times so sorry for any typos or grammar issues. There's so much going on that I have to do today and I don't know how to start.

I am in the same boat. So much school work. 🥱 but I say Vaseline the legs. You only really have to redo it when it comes off. You can use permethrin 10 from TCS (it is the same as mite spray but cheaper and more of it) and dilute it according to instructions for surface spray. Then spray down the coop quick and easy. You boy might has impacted crop. You can massage it some time see if that helps. Maybe get it to drink a little bit of vegetable oil.

I am in the same boat. So much school work. 🥱 but I say Vaseline the legs. You only really have to redo it when it comes off. You can use permethrin 10 from TCS (it is the same as mite spray but cheaper and more of it) and dilute it according to instructions for surface spray. Then spray down the coop quick and easy. You boy might has impacted crop. You can massage it some time see if that helps. Maybe get it to drink a little bit of vegetable oil.
Thank you!

D54A5275-1C54-4B77-B1CD-DB703D677ED8.jpeg

Is this the right kind for chickens?

Back
Top Bottom