How do I turn button eggs in quail egg cartons?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Title says it all ...
    I got 45 button eggs in the mail this morning, I didn't know how I was suppost to turn them in the carton so I just turned them all on their sides ... am I suppost to turn them from the small pointed end to the big fat end of the egg? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Put them in the carton, small side down, & raise one side of the carton, to tilt eggs, & then raise the other side up. No need to hand turn this way.

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:So put them in the carton small end down .... and tilt the carton side ways?

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:So put them in the carton small end down .... and tilt the carton side ways?

Yep, like a teeter-totter [​IMG]
    Just put something under one end of the carton to elevate it, then switch to the other side a couple times a day. Or you could just lay them in the bator and roll them with your hand, place your palm on top of the eggs and just move them around some. That works just as well [​IMG]

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle

Yep, like a teeter-totter [​IMG]
    Just put something under one end of the carton to elevate it, then switch to the other side a couple times a day. Or you could just lay them in the bator and roll them with your hand, place your palm on top of the eggs and just move them around some. That works just as well [​IMG]

I have a nesting box with a heat lamp hung right over it so when ever I want to turn the eggs I switch on the lamp and let it get warm and then I put the carton under the light while I turn them that way they don't get cold and the incubator doesn't loose all it's warm air.
    I will try it in the morning, will the eggs fall out of the carton? Or will they stay put? They fit pretty tightly in the carton ..?

6. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    They shouldn't move much. It only takes a second to do the change.

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Hand turning 45 eggs. Oh boy [​IMG] You have skills [​IMG] I have turners that do all the work.

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:All the 'pros' say just to roll your hand over them to turn them, rather than turning each and every one one full rotation. A lot of people I know in this area do it like that...I have a turner [​IMG]

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah, I stick in the incubator 100+ at a time, not going to hand turn them [​IMG] Unless it's super necessary [​IMG]

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I have auto-matic egg turners but .... I'm havings some issues with them! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by