How do I turn the eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazychickengirl, Jun 16, 2008.

1. crazychickengirl

crazychickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Glenmont, Ohio
    I just got an incubator and currently have 7 eggs in it that started yesterday evening. I've turned them twice already, however I'm not sure which way to turn them or if it matters at all. Do you turn them from end to end, or just roll them over? I don't want to mess it up!!!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Put an X on one side and an O on the other. You need to turn an odd number of times every day 3 - 5 times. One turn is O up the next time X is up as you roll them over. You are exercising the embryo and keeping it from sticking to the shell.

3. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    it doesn't really matter just turn them over, but make sure that the big end of the eggs is slightly elevated, or else the embryos will stick to the smaller end, not have enough room to grow, and come out deformed

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:That is not true. Many chicks are 'breach' in the shell. It does not make them stick - not turning makes them stick. As far as being deformed there is more wrong with the chick from the start than growing upside down in the shell.

You want the big end a little elevated due to the air cell and the chick being able to pip into the aircell for its first breath and able to pip and hatch from the shell.

5. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    Quote:That is not true. Many chicks are 'breach' in the shell. It does not make them stick - not turning makes them stick. As far as being deformed there is more wrong with the chick from the start than growing upside down in the shell.

You want the big end a little elevated due to the air cell and the chick being able to pip into the aircell for its first breath and able to pip and hatch from the shell.

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ok well thats why i got an automatic tuner [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by