How do I un- broody my hen???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3, Dec 12, 2011.

1. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    I need my hen snow to stop being broody. [​IMG] I take the eggs because I'am already raising 2 chicks in the winter and don't want more [​IMG] She has been for 2-4 weeks. She is verry commited. [​IMG] Snow is a white silkie hen. How do I un-broody her. I'am haveing a hen shortage. [​IMG] 3 hens 2 beloved roos. 2 hens broody. They have hen savers, and the roos kind of keep each other monitored [​IMG] Help!

2. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I've heard something about dipping their butts in cold water...? Unsure of how true that is.

3. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Can you leave her outside in a secluded pen during the day? I have the ultimate silkie broody. She stays broody months at a time. Had to put my foot down and boot her out. Put her in a pen by herself for 3 days...(not nights). It broke her immediately. Especially works with this chilly weather.

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    I heard a good suggestion from somewhere - putting her in a cage with a wire bottom so the air can come up and well, cool her down. [​IMG] I've heard a day or two in one of those can break them of it. [​IMG]

5. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
  6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    ray's two cents :

I heard a good suggestion from somewhere - putting her in a cage with a wire bottom so the air can come up and well, cool her down. [​IMG] I've heard a day or two in one of those can break them of it. [​IMG]

This is what I do and it has worked for me but sometimes it can take up to a week.​

7. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Cage with a wire bottom, or you could ship her to me!

8. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    But its cold?? [​IMG] So just days No nights... Thanks all! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by