How do I use Stal Dry in the coop?

Lisa202

Songster
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
Long Island NY
Hi All,

My 6 week old chicks are going out to their coop this weekend and I'm using the pine shavings in the coop. I bought Stal Dry and was wondering how to use it. Do I put the pine shavings down and then sprinkle it on top and let it settle in or do I put it on the floor underneath the shavings?...Or do I just wait until I need it when they are bigger and poop more?

I have DE also...that I want to put in the shavings in the coop and also sprinkle put some in a shallow container in the run for dust baths. Am I doing this right?

Thanks as always!
smile.png

NEVER use pine. NEVER. It will give the chicks respiratory problems and others as well. NEVER use pine. I don't know about the rest but I would just cover the floor in chips OTHER THAN PINE. I don't know about the Stall dry or whatever. I never used it and every thing was fine without it. JUST DO NOT USE PINE!

um, I thought most people on here use pine shavings, its cedar that is supposed to be bad. Ive been using pine and my chicks are grand,....i am interested in how to apply the stall dry though
smile.png

Yeah we use pine shavings too mainly with our baby chicks because it was listed as acceptable bedding by the hatchery. Not sure why they are bad??

Pine shavings are fine. It is cedar that will cause respiratory problems, I use de and sprinkle it on top of shavings, and the chickens stir it up when they scratch around the shavings. I woiuld think stall dry would work about the same.

There is nothing wrong with using pine at all.Myself and probably 90% of everyone else on here uses pine.
I never use stal dry.I use DE I have a hand held sprayer for dusting and I just fill it up and dust everything including the run. I do this every two weeks making sure to get into all the cracks and crevices. It does a real nice job on the bugs and also keeps the coop smelling nice.
JIM

Thanks for all your input...

but I made a mistake...I don't have Stal Dry, I have Sweet PDZ instead. I was reading, when I did a search about Stal Dry, that someone said Stal Dry is ok b/c it's made of DE with clay and that Sweet PDZ is not ok but they didn't say why. It says on the bag "ingredients: A natural earth product: Chinopilolite". Does anyone know why someone would say that this is not good to use? I tried to do a search on chinopilolite, but nothing came up.

I use Sweet PDZ and so far no problems. The guy at the feed store told me it's the same as Stall Dry, so I tried a little bit. Just in the run at first because they were locked up for a few weeks. Nothing happened, no one got sick or died.. I'm now using it in the coop and have been for a few months, it seems ok to me. The only warning I can think of is that it does have an "odor" when it gets wet. And it did glaze over where I put it on a bit thick. That's just the newby not knowing what to do.
wink.png
I sprinkle it around when I'm cleaning the coop, just a light cleaning, I've been trying the deep litter method and like it so far. I just go out once a week and clean up the excess that falls on the nest boxes, which are covered with one of those clear runners you would use on a carpet and it's done. I like it and the chickens haven't complained..
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom