1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How Do I Use Wormwood?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cel45, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Good morning all!! In addition to planting wormwood where the chickens can forage on it. Can you mix it in their feed and if so, how much? TIA!!!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm not familiar with wormwood.
    What is the purpose of it?

3. Cel45

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    It is reported to get rid of internal parasites. Which is how it got its common name.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Interesting.
    What sources of information have you found that wormwood if effective in treating internal parasites in poultry.
    Have you found what type of dosages would be effective. I do see there are supplements/oils for human consumption, but exactly how much to give a chicken would be the question. If you are going to let them forage the plants and then be adding to their food as well, would that not be too much?

5. Cel45

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    All I have found is info on planting in your run or near the coop with a wire guard around it so it grows through the wire or they stick their heads through to pick off the leaves. Working two jobs right now, but will try to post some links later. it is used a lot in Australia.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by