How do I water my chicks in the winter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bobbieschicks, Sep 22, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I've been using the garden hose to refill the 3 gallon and 5 gallon hanging waterers & over the summer I also had a hose running to an autowaterer pipe in the run - but with winter coming we usually open the hose faucet and detach all hoses - so how do I do the watering job now? Do I have to haul water from inside the house or is there some way to keep the pipes from freezing & use the outside faucet? We're in Virginia if that helps.

thanks,
    Bobbie

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I have two galvanized waters. I exchange them out every day. I fill them in the house, because, like you I shut off the outside water. I have a cookie tin waterer heater,(Didn't cost $5 to make) powered by a 40W bulb. Got the idea for it fright off this forum.
    Jack

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  3. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    I bought a couple heated waters last winter and they have served me well... I only use them during the winter months and then store them. You might have to string an ext cord if you don't have electric in the coop. I think they cost about $34 ea.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I use the black rubber Fortex bowls. When you turn them upside down and step on them the ice just falls out. I carry out water to them in milk jugs to fill the bowls twice a day.

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Unless you bury water lines and put in a frost-free hydrant, then you're going to have to haul it from the house.

6. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:That's what I was wondering - I think I'll go with those rubber horse bowls and make several trips a day.

7. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:Are those the black horse bowls I see at Tractor Supply? Do you elevate those bowls so that stuff doesn't get knocked into them? I like the milk jug idea - we always have plenty of those around.

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I carry the water from the house. It rarely freezes in my coop. I used the deep litter method and have one heat bulb in there and the temps outside can get to be below zero. And on nice days I open the windows. About halfway through the winter I do have to clean the litter and replenish it though. It is about one foot deep. Some people buy the electric dog waterers for their chickens.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Are those the black horse bowls I see at Tractor Supply? Do you elevate those bowls so that stuff doesn't get knocked into them? I like the milk jug idea - we always have plenty of those around.

Yes they are in the horse section. They are made of rubber. I just set them on the ground, but we don't get that much freezing weather where I am. I suppose if I was going to need them all winter I would set them up on some bricks or something.

All my water and food is in the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by