1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do Muscovies fare with hot summers?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by muscovymaness, May 11, 2016.

1. muscovymaness

muscovymaness New Egg

May 7, 2016
    As in really hot! We are in Dubai, UAE and temps will soon be hitting between 45 and 50 degrees celcius on a regular basis. We acquired our flock accidentally back in October (they literally fell off the back of a lorry! Probably on the way to slaughter I imagine - we are situated in a little oasis farming area on the edge of the desert/city) so this we be our first summer with them. They are happily living (and breeding) at the stables where I keep my horse and I am the self appointed duck lady. They are completely free ranging with no access to a coop or indoors. They have chosen a shady spot next to the feed room as their main base and they are fed and watered in this area and their pool is there too. They seem like a fairly hardy breed, will the summer be a problem for them do you think?

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    As long as they have access to shade and good drinking water they do very well, since they are from South America/Central America they are natural to tropical climates. They should be fine.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. muscovymaness

muscovymaness New Egg

May 7, 2016
    Ah of course! Completely forgot they are from a warmer climate... and I've read it so many times as I've searched the Internet! Thanks for that.

4. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Your welcome :)

5. JessLonn

JessLonn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2015
    Bedford, PA
    I don't mean to crash this thread but can anyone tell me how long does Moscovy buck egg take to hatch?

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Muscovy eggs take 35 days of incubation to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by