How do my eggs look?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by addiedunn, Jan 11, 2009.

1. addiedunn

addiedunn Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one in the purple cup looks like it has a dark ring on the end...is this just fertilization?
    Also, I get tiny blood specks in about 40 percent of my eggs. It doesn't bother us...we still eat them but should I be concerned for the hens?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Your fertile eggs are the ones with the white spots/ fertile disc on the tops of your eggs in the blue, green and purple.

I have no idea what happened with the dark ring, maybe it started to freeze before you collected them?

Your little blood spots are called meat spots and its just a glitch in the egg laying cycle of the hen. Trying throwing them some Black Oiled Sunflower seeds once in awhile.

3. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    Your eggs look nice and dark. When they are fertilized they have a white foamy "doughnut" on the yoke. Looks like yours are fertilized. Someone posted a picture of a fertilized egg a few months ago...use the search link to find it.

4. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    They look delicous! u have got GREAT fertil eggs.
    I'm sure Rooster-Red will come buy and tell u about the blood specks.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I wouldn't be too concerned about the blood spots, it happens when a capillary in the uterus seeps a tiny mount of blood during the laying cycle, new layers seem to be more prone to this than older ones.

Its hard to tell from the pic about the dark spot, the egg seems to be fertile but I can't tell much about the dark outer ring around the spot. do you get eggs like that one often?

Is the dark outer ring just a deeper orange or is it blood colored?

6. addiedunn

addiedunn Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    That is the first one I've ever gotten like that.
    Thank you for the replies. I see the dot you're talking about and I had seen the thread that shows the fertilized eggs...but I thought maybe it sat too long and started development. The dog got that one, regardless.
    She didn't mind it at all.

7. Splash_Guard

Splash_Guard Set Free

Dec 3, 2008
    Michigan
    Nice eggs. Totally edible. Congratulations!

8. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    chicken stalker ;p :

Your eggs look nice and dark. When they are fertilized they have a white foamy "doughnut" on the yoke. Looks like yours are fertilized. Someone posted a picture of a fertilized egg a few months ago...use the search link to find it.

It's a sticky at the top of the page...​

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Your fertile eggs are the ones with the white spots/ fertile disc on the tops of your eggs in the blue, green and purple.

Good...that's what I thought. If my girls ever start laying, I will know what to look for to make sure Jack is doing his job [​IMG]

10. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I had eggs this mornign for breakfast.. when i cracked one open it had that white dot on it but I dont have a roo in with any of my girls. I think I have a roo but he was getting beat up by my broody girl so I separated him. he was only with on girl over night..... she is broody now and not laying so it wasnt her egg... I was wondering could it be from the girls I just got (they were with a roo) and if it was from the new girl, how long will her eggs be fertile? I got her thursday and have gotten 2 eggs from her.. could I incubate like her next 3 eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by