How do new birds do with free ranging flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by biteme2134, Nov 12, 2014.

1. biteme2134

biteme2134 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    I was given 3 new hens to add to my established 11 bird flock. They are in isolation now and I'm thinking of dropping them in later this week. My question is based on free ranging. My flock is out almost all day and I'm wondering if I should lock them up for a day or more to get the new ladies used to where home now is. I don't like locking up my flock as they give me those sad eyes as they stand by the door wondering why I'm not opening it!
    What would you do?

2. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    First off, how long have the new ones been in isolation?
    Second is your coop large enough to comfortablely accommodate 14 birds for several days?

Depending on your answers I would put the newbies in a large wire crate for at least a couple of days first. This will allow them to get comfortable with thier surroundings. After at least two days put the new birds on the roost at night.

You need to be sure that the new birds have places that they can get away from the others if things get violent (very important).
    Keep an eye on them the first day.
    Add lots of treats and goodies to keep them occupied that first day.

Ultimitely you will have to be thte judge to decide if it is safer to let them out and run the risk of them roosting elsewhere versus them being stuck inside the coop with a large number of new and possiblely aggressive birds.
    I personally would let mine all out after the removing the crate, this allows them to have lots of space to get away and doesn't put the original flock in a stressful position and unusual circumstace of being stuck inside.

3. biteme2134

biteme2134 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    Thanks! The new birds have been in isolation about a week. I know some people suggest longer isolation times too. My run is about 20x9 so no issues with space. I have 2 nipple water buckets and 2 feeders at different areas to deter birds from hoarding food. And two small water and pvc food hangers inside the coop.
    So I would think everything should be doable just maybe make sure I'm not working the day I add them so I can monitor

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by