How do people do this?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by StormyMoon, Jul 22, 2010.

1. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    5 hatched out of 10 eggs under a broody hen. 1 died.

Now I have 4 fluffy butts......but I have no idea how people incubate 100 chicks and not feel so exhausted. I woke this morning it felt as if I had ran all night long.
    I ended up taking a nap after I did all my chores I never take naps. When I finally got to sleep all I did was dream of baby chicks every where.

Here are my fluffy butts hatched through the night started pipping yesterday some time early am Hatched around 9 PM - 1 AM

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have 12 more eggs to go due next wed I am going to fall out of my chair. LOL

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    It is that new mommy syndrome, it takes about 3 to 6 months to start feeling better. [​IMG] And even then they will hassle you for the rest of their lives.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

You shouldn't feel exhausted, just sit back and let broody mama do all the work!

4. StormyMoon

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Maybe it was all the excitement it was like waiting fathers sitting in the waiting room for their child to be born. It was horrible...yet exciting and loads of mixed feelings and worry all bundled together but I didn't step in at all I let her do all the work maybe its just an over load of emotions. I don't know this is the very first time we ever had chicks hatch here and our very first time having day old chicks.

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Ah, I see. Well by the time you are "up to" hatching hundreds of chicks at once, you'll be over with all that new mommy syndrome.

6. StormyMoon

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Quote:Ah, I see. Well by the time you are "up to" hatching hundreds of chicks at once, you'll be over with all that new mommy syndrome.

I hope so, next wed we have another batch due 12 this time I candled them for the last time yesterday and all was moving if they make it to hatching time we will have 16 fluffy butts running around.

7. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I know the feeling. We recently hatched a bunch of pheasant eggs in the old incubator and I felt like I had been beaten with a bat the next day. I was a nervous wreck; DH had done this before....with the same old incubator! We had several that didn't make it and it was heartbreaking for me. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to have to purchase chicks from now on...I just don't have the nerves for hatching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by