How Do People Have The Best Pets?????

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Shellybean02, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Shellybean02

Shellybean02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2015
    I see pictures and videos of babies and pets cuddling, young children giving hugs to pets... How did the family manage to do that? Of course there's the time and patience, and teaching the pets and children to respect one another. But is there a specific formula for that? Say a family with toddlers, teens, adults and a chihuahua want to add something to the household; good for everyone, possibly low maintenance (not a sit-and-watch-me-no-touching pet, they already have quail, and no farm animals because it's not an option with their house). How would they go about making sure the next pet has a great future with the family? Feel free to share stories about how you chose a pet, and how you went about making sure they and your family were happy together. Thanks!

2. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    Personality of the individual animal depends on it alot. Take goats for example. I used to have 2 baby nigerian dwarf goats that would be fantastic pets and would be great with kids and anyone! I also have seen 2 nigerians who are not interested in people and don't want anything to do with them. There is this nubian goat at a local farm who is the exact opposite. He will try and headbutt anyone who touches him or gets in his way. That, plus his horns, are just an awful combo for a pet. Then theres another nubian who jumps up on the fence when he sees people so he can be scratched and loved! It all depends on the personality.

3. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

There is always going to be individual personalities some individual animals just don't make good pets, but the best way to make any animal more social is simply to socialize from an early age as much as you can every chance you get... Early life socialization is IMO the most important thing, spending 6 months giving a puppy or kitten every ounce of attention you can result in a good pet for life, on the other hand if you miss that window they might never get to the same point even with years of work... In general the more you socialize with the pets the friendly they will become, toss in an animal with a good personality and you have a great pet...

One word of caution, animals will still be animals and the best dog or cat that has been the perfect pet for years can have a split second instinctual action and harm you or especially a child with no warning even after a lifetime of no such outburst...

1 person likes this.
  4. SkyeAus

SkyeAus Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2015
    GERALDTON, WA
    All our animals just adapt I guess. When my first child was born we had 2 cats and a dog, they just got used to it. One of the cats barley tolerates the kids. The other cat is absolutely amazing with them. Luck of the draw

5. Shellybean02

Aug 30, 2015
    Concern: Toddlers, a big load of sassy Chi and baby animals. Specifically, small baby animals. I could easily decide on getting a baby animal that will grow into our family without that concern. I was considering adopting or getting a grown or senior cat that already has a background with kids; at least, one that's already declawed and can tolerate kids, even though I don't support declawing. A puppy would require a lot of attention; even though a gentle breed of dog would be perfect for us, now would not be the best time to get one with all the attention that they require. Mom suggests a cage animal, like ferrets or hedgehogs. I love ferrets and would love to have a hedgie, but ferrets supposedly get aggressive because of diaper smells and that worries me; and hedgies might get antisocial and become a spiny ball... ouch...
    Note: I totally want a nigerian dwarf goat when I'm older they just seem TOO perfect!

6. SkyeAus

Oct 26, 2015
    GERALDTON, WA
    I've got a ferret, he doesn't get aggressive with toddlers :)

7. Shellybean02

Aug 30, 2015
    Would you suggest getting a baby to grow with the little ones, or getting a grown ferret? I would need to remodel my room if I want a ferret:p What would you say is a good method to reduce the smell? I don't mind but the family... -_- I've heard of the breeze litter system, and that ferrets can be taught to use litter boxes (cats in a rodent's body!!!) But ferrets also have accidents when playing... I just want to be really prepared for an easygoing, long term ferret-family relationship.

8. SkyeAus

Oct 26, 2015
    GERALDTON, WA
    If you don't have the time to put into training a baby I'd suggest finding an older one that is already good with kids. A lot of work goes into young ones :)
    Ferrets will generally just toilet in a corner, so set up a corner litter box.
    My boy is neutered, and smells significantly less then he did before. Some countries remove anal glands, but it's banned in a lot of places now and doesn't greatly reduce thr smell.
    My suggestion is do a heap of research on feeding too. Cat and dog food is actually quite bad for them, raw is really the best health wise.

9. Shellybean02

Aug 30, 2015
    If I don't find my kitten in a week or two, I might get a cat or ferret. I would wait longer, but I just can't stand being lonely. If he comes home later, he will come home to a new friend. I'll wait until the little ones are a bit older to get the next puppy, and I'm sure my chi would love a play buddy, especially a pup full of energy!

10. Shellybean02

Aug 30, 2015
    I thought it would be alright to ask a question on this thread, since it is related. My mom made me sell my quail because they were noisy, and gave my chi away because she wasn't right for this family and we couldn't give her exactly what she needed. I don't think that makes her a bad person though. I'm hoping I can convince her to get me a pet that will fit into our family and lives well. The house is full of light sleepers, so my mom refuses to get me birds. I am considering ANY pet, but I would love to have something to hold. I need a friend. If the pet roams the house, it cannot make messes everywhere and must be able to at least tolerate two toddlers. It can be a tank/cage animal too, though. I will consider potbelly pigs, rabbits, geckos, hamsters... anything! My mom and I talk about getting a pet casually when she is in a good mood, but when she's upset she says she will never get any pets... I don't blame her, she seems very stressed lately(including me, which is why I think a pet will help us both). I am definitely getting myself a pair of bettas and a trio of guppies, I know how to provide everything that they need from research. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by