How do people keep silkies clean?!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NineChickens, Mar 13, 2018.

1. NineChickens

NineChickens Chirping

May 23, 2017
    I can't even keep my normal feathered girls clean! They're always out even when it rains and takes lots of dust, sometimes slightly mud, baths. I see so many pictures of silkies that are all clean. I told myself I'd never own one because she'd look messier than a duck! Just a random question

N Sully and Cynful481 like this.
  2. GldnValleyHens

GldnValleyHens Crowing

Apr 21, 2017
    Illinois
    White silkies are the worst. I have a roo, and he is yellowish, and stained with poo sometimes. I'd say a warm, gentle bubble bath, on a sunny, warm day.
    I gave my last silkie roo a bath and he almost drowned because he stuck his head underwater, so be careful.

N Sully likes this.
  3. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    It’s really not that hard in my opinion and experience to keep Silkies clean. Firstly because of their unique feathering they are prone to getting chilled if they get wet. So don’t let them out when it’s wet outside and they’ll remain clean and cuddly balls of fluff.

4. NineChickens

NineChickens Chirping

May 23, 2017
    Where I live it rains almost 24/7 So I think I'll stick to my plan and leave the silkies to everyone else ;)

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  5. GldnValleyHens

GldnValleyHens Crowing

Apr 21, 2017
    Illinois
    ;)Get a black or partridge silkie and the dirt won't show up

6. HeyNay

HeyNay In the Brooder

Mar 11, 2016
    Once in a while, we will give our white silkies a bath in the sink. They love it and they love the blow dryer. It’s like a spa day

7. Amydls

Amydls Chirping

Mar 14, 2018
    I clean my silkies feet off in the sink and then give them a blow dry .... they aren’t allowed outside after a downpour !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: