1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do roo's behave?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CARS, May 1, 2009.

1. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I was given 2 Roos last week because as everyone knows, if people know you have chickens, you will take them all [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The question is Gary (the roo with the beard) crows, but the other one (not named yet) doesn't. Also doesn't leave Gary's side. Kinda weird.

So while it is colored, has the tail and spurs of a roo, is it just shy and wont come out of his shell until he is separated from the more dominant roo, Gary?

Next problem, what the heck I am going to do with 3 roosters? I have 32 hens but I could care less about fertile eggs right now [​IMG] And it's not going to stop there. I bet the farm that 90% of next weeks MM "rarest of the rare" assortment is going to be roo's. Hmmm

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, 1 rooster is the king and the other is prince waiting for the throne.
    Not only that, roosters act cocky, they are tough protectors that keep a bit of peace around the flock, not permitting fighting among the girls. Pecking order yes, balding each other no.
    If you notice, when one of the hens goes into the nest box, then the rooster will guard the door. Its his instinctual best interest to make sure his girls are safe and his future babies are able to live.

Hope I helped!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If one of your roos is very dominant and the other is very submissive, the beta roo likely won't crow much. Doing so will get him in trouble with the alpha. The beta will also have to do any of his mating on the sly. In other words, the beta will be very careful about doing any of the typical roo things that could earn him a butt whoopin by the alpha.
    With 32 hens I'd keep my roo population at two. You might get away with three, but the tension level will very likely go up.

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Adding, if your second-in-command sees he really doesn't have to take orders from the leader anymore, you may see some fighting. For mating rights, for dominance, for a name-sake, etc. Totally normal. By 'sticking at the king's side', the second roo is staying on his good side. For now, he's watching himself carefully and trying not to make the leader mad.

If you were to seperate the two, Mr. Shy would gradually poke out of his shell and rule his flock. But for now I'm sure there are other things on his mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by