how do show points work and what is a master breeder???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mandelaykay, Oct 3, 2011.

1. mandelaykay

mandelaykay Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    Hi my name is Mandy,

I just went to my first two shows in the past two weeks. At one show I got Grand Champion and at the other, which had way more birds and hard core breeders I got BV and RBB. I was talking to a women who was telling me about keeping points. She also pointed out the bird that beat mine and said that bird belongs to such and such, she is a master breeder.

So my questions are. Why keep track of points and what is the purpose of them? And what is a master breeder?
    Thanks everyone. I am brand new to showing and this is all so interesting.

Mandy

2. mandelaykay

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    can anyone help me with this please.... I am having trouble finding answers. [​IMG]

3. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:First Off Congrats on the placings sounds like your off to a very good start.

Breed clubs, the APA and ABA award and track points for thier members, after aquiring a certian number of points in a given period of time one earns exhibitor of teh year, breeder of the year, master exhibitor, master breeder. The actual points required are common for all breeds and varieties in teh APA and ABA however this is also an award that some breed clubs provide and teh points required there are documented by teh breed club.
    So long story short if you belong to the APA / ABA and show under the same name your membership is listed in then you are earning points if you are not a member you do not earn points. the points help track who is showing what and how well they are doing.

4. Chickenfrantic

Chickenfrantic Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    Congrats on your win. What do you show?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  5. mandelaykay

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    Thank you so much for your great answer! It all makes sense now! Mandy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by