how do silkies climatize in winter

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cowtown chick, Feb 18, 2014.

1. cowtown chick

cowtown chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2013
    I live in N.E. Tennessee
    I'm planning on getting a silkie or two, but was wondering how well they climatize in the cold weather and am I gonna have a hard time introducing them to my older hens when its time. Any suggestions would be helpful.

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Ours do okay, on brutal days i may not let them out but reasonably cold i will... i do sweep as much snow back as possible but they have good shelter... they come out in many well below freezing days and no we don't heat.

Can't help with the older hen, i keep our silkies all with silkies my standards free range. I do know silks are more docile and tend to be at the lower pecking order in mixed breed flocks so caution must be used.

3. cowtown chick

cowtown chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2013
    I live in N.E. Tennessee
    thanks! I appreciate your response. My run is covered, but it does get cold, especially this winter, but it hasnt affected my girls one bit, they have done great this winter, I use no heat lamps either. I just wondered if they were as hardy as my other hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by