How do suggest I add a bigger run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by brains, Feb 19, 2014.

1. brains

brains Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2013
    Geauga County, Ohio
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope these pics show it. The current coop and run is 12ft long by 4 ft wide and it is built on a hill. The back side has the rain barrel and nesting box access. I can move the barrel but not the boxes. I wanted to add some type of small door off the run on the back to some type of fenced run. The ground is very rocky.

I am looking for something as cheap as possible. Predators have not been an issue for 6 months but I don't know what will happen if they are out in a fenced in area.

What are your thoughts for increasing the size of the run? I currently have 4 silkies but am trading the 2 roosters for some full size hens. My goal would be to add another 4 or 5 hens

Thanks
    Ed

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

A lot of people use dog kennel panels. It is good to put 1/2 inch hardware cloth running along the bottom of the fence so they can't be pulled through the chainlink - also to apron the fencing out along the ground to prevent diggers. Also, you can cover the top with netting or roofing (think snow load).

Since you have silkies I'd cover whatever you use for sure if you have hawks/owls.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...l+panels+coop&fr=chr-greentree_gc&fr2=piv-web

here is a yahoo search for images to see

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  3. brains

Jul 26, 2013
    Geauga County, Ohio
    I have thought about using those and have looked on Craig's list bit they are out of the price range of cheap.
    Would it be stupid to get them in a tractor during the day and then back in the coop at night?
    I was thinking of a movable run during the day and then back to their run/coop at night

Thanks
    Ed

4. brains

Jul 26, 2013
    Geauga County, Ohio
    How about this for luck. I found a 12x7x7 dog kennel/run for $90 on craigslist and bought it. Hope it works. Now I need to go and dig it out from the guys yard and wait for some serious snow melt to happen before I can get working in it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by