How do the chicks hactch under the broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by henney penny, Apr 22, 2012.

1. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I have wondered how the chicks hatch under the broody while she is sitting on them.I ask this becasue my orp just hatched out three and they were dead,they were flat from her weight.She was a first time broody so what did she do wrong?I would think the weight of the hen would would squash them.Do they lift up while the chicks are being hatched?I goggled it and could find no info on this.I have had lots of broodies and chicks hatch and have never had this problem before.I am driving myself crazy trying to figure out what happen to these babies.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Inexperience;( Ive had it happen a time or two...The hens dont know any better...if I get a hen that does it twice...I never allow her to hatch again...one thing that comes to mind is where your chicken was broody..nesting materials...was there alot of shavings or hay to kinds counteract the weight of the mommas body..or very little that would attribute to no wiggle room and flattened chickies?

3. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    It may have been my fault then,she was in a crate,she could stand up and turn around but still maybe not enough room.I never thought of that.I was thinking of the nesting boxes they sometimes use and the tight places they hide sometimes to hatch.Now I really feel bad,I paid $45.00 for the eggs but worse than that the babies died.Thanks for getting back to me,so many times I have asked questions and never get an answer

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Dont take blame! It happens;( you just learn from it and try to improve the next time...your right though..they do find the tiniest funky spots to go broody without issues alot....its the luck of the draw is all:( Its happened to the best of us! Hugs!

5. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I feel so bad for her,I could not find her and she was standing out behind the coop all by herself on the steps clucking.I do have two week old oprs and was thinking about putting a couple under here at night but thought better of it,I think she is just not ready.Thanks for the words of encouragement

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

She might be okay. My two first time moms took to it no problem. My first one - all of her eggs died before hatching. I gave her 2 week old chicks and she took right to mothering. Some hens will not accept older chicks. Both of my broodies did. Worth a try.. They seem so sad if they can't hatch their own :/

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY

You got lucky with your broodies then! :D if you do try it Henny Penny make sure your their to watch them for a while carefully! It might take her a few minutes to figure out what is going on and when she does she may not like and attack them..take them away and keep rearing them yourself....

8. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I ;put the broody box away and she roosted with the other girls last night so don`t thnk I will try it.

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Oooh fully agree then!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by