how do these look for Maran egg color

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Country Living Farm, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    I have a white leghorn and a JG egg in the middle. the dark eggs are from BCM and the light dark eggs are from my Blus Maran's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Gorgeous! I keep telling myself I dont need Marans and then people like you post pics like these.... [​IMG]

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    they look alright to me [​IMG]

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Comparing the pictures to the Marans egg chart, they aren't really dark enough to be considered Marans' eggs.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

They are supposed to be at least a 4 on the chart....that is the egg under the white egg.
    [​IMG]

6. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

In the 2nd picture down, they are easily a 4. The other pics look like they are lightened by a flash.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I just know I don't sell that light of eggs from my Marans or hatch any birds from them. Too many sellers have tho which is why there are so many birds laying eggs that aren't as dark as they're supposed to be.

8. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    It is the light. The eggs for the BCM are at or near a 5 right now with the chart I have. These are also pullet eggs. They started about a week or so ago laying. As for the Blue Maran's they are not normally as dark as Black Copper Maran eggs. They are about a 4 now with the chart.

9. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    It is VERY easy to see that the true color of the eggs were washed out by the flash. As a previous poster mentioned they are easily 4's or better. If you enjoy your birds and are having fun filling your basket with colored eggs, then more power to you. Whenever someone innocently posts pics of eggs or birds that are "less than perfect", it always seems to turn into a "my eggs are better than your eggs" kind of thing.

10. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    The best way to take a picture of Marans eggs is outside without a flash. The flash tends to wash out the color of the eggs.
    Don't worry what one or two people say about your eggs. Even if they lay less then a 4 they are still a Marans chicken. They do not become a different breed no more what other people say.
    Katy do you have a picture of your eggs as an example?
    Sharon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by