1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how do they get poop on the ceiling?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rustywreck, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Rustywreck

Rustywreck Chillin' With My Peeps

When cleaning out my chicken's coop yesterday I noticed poop on the ceiling. It isn't the first time it has happened, but this time I stopped for a moment and wondered how the heck they manage to pull that off. Finding it on the floor, walls, even window sills I understand; but the ceiling?

The ceiling in my chicken's coop is 7 feet high and the roost is about 4 feet; which means the ceiling is about 3 feet higher than their backsides. Given that the normal trajectory of a chicken is back and down, and gravity is still the law inside the coop, how do they pull this feat off? I've never seen it happen in person so, I can only imagine that they are practicing some kind of chicken acrobatics including flips with well timed explosions.

Seriously, I don't understand how they do it.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Skill.

3. tball

tball Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    hemphill,tx
    Maybe the classic saing...do you have a fan!!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ok... my birds sometimes poop on each other [​IMG] then flap wings...just a thought...[​IMG]

4. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Every time I close the coop door all I can think about is that they start acting like the animals in Shaun the Sheep.

5. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Chickens...defying the laws of gravity since the dawn of time.

6. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Your birds may be going for the adobe look for the coop.

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] Your chickens are up to no good when no one is watching.

8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Mabe your chickens are a bit batty [​IMG]

9. LeelooD

LeelooD Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    NW Florida
    Hey, life as a chicken can get pretty boring. They have to find some way to amuse themselves! [​IMG]

10. krickets

krickets Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    Okay, now I'm picturing them in there after bedtime having a poo-flinging contest.
    "Yes! Mine went the highest! Donna, you owe me a watermelon rind at snack-time tomorrow!"
    "Aw, man..."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by