how do u keep chicks in bator longer then 2 days dont they need food

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bock_Bock, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    i know people say not ot take out chicks untill all are hatched, but if you keep the chicks in for longer then 2 days dont they need some kind of water and food what do you do about that?

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    They're still absorbing the yolk, so they don't NEED food for the first 3 days. That's why they can be shipped priority mail.
    And you don't want to feed them anything for the first 24-48 hours because their digestive systems are still figuring things out. I usually wait until the second day to give them finely ground food. Water's ok.

3. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    ok well the thing is my chicks hatched over a 7 day period what do i do then i believed i killed over half my batch of eggs and chicks because i opened the bator to take out dry chicks

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Why are they hatching over 7days? If your doing staggered hatches and putting eggs in at different times you should have a 2nd incubator to hatch them out of or hold the other eggs longer so you can set them together and not hatch so long. Otherwise if your setting them all at the same time and they are hatching over 7 days there's something wrong with the temps in your bator.

5. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    yea i set them all at the same time it was so weir i had one hatch on the 18th day then anothe ron the 25 th day, i watched the temp and humidity as close as i could until my hygrometer read humidity at 70 but there was no water in the bator so i filled it up but other then that i tried to keep temp steaddy beyween 99 and 100 degrees a few spikes or drops but that is it so i dont know what happened it was my first time incubating so i learned alot

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Do you have a still air and did you put a lot of eggs in it? A still air will have temperature gradients from the top to bottom and middle to edge. Eggs on the edge will be cooler than eggs in the middle. If you fill it completely or too close to the edges you will have an uneven hatch unless you rotate the eggs from the edge into the middle every few days.

7. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Chicks can be left in the incubator for up to 24 hours with no ill effects.

The advice to leave them in untill all have hatched assumes that they will all hatch in 24 hours.

Personally, I leave mine in for about 4 or 5 hours, then move them to the brooder. Occasionally they may get left in overnight.

In a still ait incubator, opening it seriously compromises the humidity. In a forced air, less so.

8. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    ok yes i have a still air hovabator 1902n and i had 44 eggs in there so you answered the question of why i had such a spread out hatch but what do i do about taking the chicks out now?

9. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Just do it very quickly. [​IMG]

10. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    would like spritcing warm water every time a take a chick out help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by