1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How Do Vegetarians Balance Their Food Nutritionally?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by deb1, Dec 24, 2009.

1. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    My family is thinking of eating a vegetarian meal once a week. No, we aren't going vegetarian but we would like some to eat more healthy and this seems like a good idea. My problem is that I am used to serving a meat, starch and one or two vegetables. How do you vegetarians make certain that you get a well balanced meal? I am pretty open to suggestions.

I had a friend who was a vegetarian and she would eat just mac and cheese for a meal. That never seemed healthy to me. Can you all help me out?

Easy meal suggestions that will fill a person up would be appreciated.

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
  3. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:Thanks. Will it answer very, very basic questions. I am a bit stupid about this subject.

4. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    We eat primarily vegetarian. Alot of our meals are centered around pasta, soups meatless stews etc. My kids like vegetarian lasagna, garlic bread and salad. Or sometimes we just do soups (minestrone/vegetable/bean) or vegetarian chili and salads. There are many meatless meals you can make that are very filling and satisfying. Good luck. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

We were vegetarians for a quite a while around here.

Easy stuff is to make spaghetti sauce with tofu in it. Get the soft kind as it will just mix in with the sauce and you no one can pick it out. I'd stir in some parmesan cheese at the end. Sometimes I'd cook some carrots, put them in the blender and add them to the sauce as well. I'd do this instead of sugar (I was taught to make the sauce with sugar) Add a small salad... and voila!

Red beans and rice or black beans and rice with your choice of vegetable. I'd suggest collard greens. Very inexpensive.

Spinach lasagna.

Something we still like to do occasionally is make spinach gnocchi (from scratch... it's super easy) with a white cream sauce.

I'll think some more on it.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:Are you going to avoid fish and eggs etc. as well?

Eggs can easily replace a portion of meat in one meal a week, mushrooms also really can stand well on their own. I love mushrooms!!! There is also beans, I don't like beans, but they are a good replacement for meat.

(I'm not a vegetarian)

7. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Quote:[​IMG]
    deb maybe you should add that we need to post recipes too. [​IMG]

8. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Red beans and rice
    Chili over corn bread
    Pasta with garbanzo bean sauce
    Dal with roti or rice
    Walnut cheese balls in a white sauce
    quiche with salad
    gazpacho with a bean salad
    felafel with pita, veggies and yogurt sauce
    huumus, baba ganoush, tabouli and bread
    veggie burgers with a bun
    grilled cheese and bean soup
    lentil soup and crusty bread

Basically to balance the protein you need to eat legumes and wheat or other grain within the same day. There are many wonderful veggie cookbooks out there, and almost every cuisine has veggie dishes. Cheese and eggs are a complete protein, and tofu is close. I wouldn't worry too much about balancing protein if you are only eating one vegetarian meal a week. The American diet, especially the tradional one you cook, is protein heavy.

Man, now I'm hungry. I'm off to make hummus for dinner tonight. We're just having finger foods, and hummus is better if it has a while to set.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  9. rainplace

Oh yes, meatless soups are wonderful! I love lentil soups, especially with an Indian flavor. Goes very well with a saag naan.

10. rainplace

mom'sfolly :

Red beans and rice
    Chili over corn bread
    Pasta with garbanzo bean sauce
    Dal with roti or rice
    Walnut cheese balls in a white sauce
    quiche with salad
    gazpacho with a bean salad
    felafel with pita, veggies and yogurt sauce
    huumus, baba ganoush, tabouli and bread
    veggie burgers with a bun
    grilled cheese and bean soup
    lentil soup and crusty bread

Basically to balance the protein you need to eat legumes and wheat or other grain within the same day. There are many wonderful veggie cookbooks out there, and almost every cuisine has veggie dishes. Cheese and eggs are a complete protein, and tofu is close. I wouldn't worry too much about balancing protein if you are only eating one vegetarian meal a week. The American diet, especially the tradional one you cook, is protein heavy.

Yes, a lot of americans eat way more protein than they need.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by