How do we handle our family dog that decided to eat one of our hens?

Robz & Genia

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2017
How do we handle our family dog that decided to eat one of our hens? He lives in relative harmony with all of our farm animals till today. We have cats and horses and other dogs but our 7 year old Shepard Mix,Pawpaw, attacked one of our Reds with no warning. This is our first time in the chicken game and we have allowed ours to free range during the day with no predator incidents. Our other German Shepard,12 year old Karma, is the mothering type and simply herds the flock and guards them. Just looking for others that may have experienced this issue. Thanks!

I keep my dogs and chickens separate for just that reason. My dogs were raised on raw eggs (they have lovely coats) so I can never trust them around the chickens. Eggs are yummy and they will go for the source. If they don't eat eggs or at least raw eggs then chickens are still self propelled chew toys with feathers to pull and tasty poo butts. If they're not raised from a puppy not to mess with the chickens, they will have a hard time learning later. There are some training techniques like tying the dead chicken to the dog's neck but I wouldn't do it. The dogs have their yard and the chickens have their pen. If the chickens are out, the dogs are not and vise versa. Once a chicken did get into the dog yard and we only learned about it she brought it in to show us it was "broke." We didn't punish the dog for it because the chicken was in her yard.

I keep my dogs and chickens separate for just that reason. My dogs were raised on raw eggs (they have lovely coats) so I can never trust them around the chickens. Eggs are yummy and they will go for the source. If they don't eat eggs or at least raw eggs then chickens are still self propelled chew toys with feathers to pull and tasty poo butts. If they're not raised from a puppy not to mess with the chickens, they will have a hard time learning later. There are some training techniques like tying the dead chicken to the dog's neck but I wouldn't do it. The dogs have their yard and the chickens have their pen. If the chickens are out, the dogs are not and vise versa. Once a chicken did get into the dog yard and we only learned about it she brought it in to show us it was "broke." We didn't punish the dog for it because the chicken was in her yard.

That is NOT a training method. Its. Just. Not.

Ugh

Gary

Yeah we didn't "punish" Pawpaw but did leash him and take him to the coop with a lot of very stern NO. Trying to teach him they are not toys on the run. Thank you for the reply!

The dog needs to be trained to leave them alone or kept away from the chickens. I would put her on a leash with a training collar and give a correction if she shows the least bit of interest in the birds. Start slow, you may never be able to leave her alone with them.

Good luck

Gary
Thanks Gary, We have worked with them since getting the chicks as babies and had not seen this side of Pawpaw. We will continue to monitor him and reinforce the NO and make corrections.

Back
Top Bottom