How do ya'll clean your Sportsman's?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pinkchick, Oct 16, 2011.

1. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    I wonder how everyone that has Sportsman's goes about cleaning the heating element/coil area? I have some fuzzy black dusty accumulation there on the coils (especially where the coils wraps around the insulators) I don't want to damage the coils. Do you ever remove the hardware cloth protector thingie to get in there and clean?

I hope you can see what I am talking about in this photo.
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    I stripped ours completely down this spring. "Washed" everything. Used a bleach water solution.

The heating element is fairly robust.

I dont think I will go to the same extent again. All of the wiring and switches will just get a good dusting. I will concentrate my major cleaning to the egg chamber.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

BTW, we did have excellent hatch rates this year. It could have been luck, more experience, better health of the breeding stock, who knows for sure.

3. jasonsquail

jasonsquail Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    Portage, Pa
    I just use the canned air that you would use on your electronics to "dust" all the stuff I cant reach. I also wipe down everything I can reach with a bleach/water solution.

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I usually use the air compressor on that kind of dust. OUTSIDE. Then, spray down w/Oxine, and air again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by