How Do You Actually "Blow Out" an Egg??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickie Mamma, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    I am sure this has been covered, but I was interested in doing this to put the mustard in it to stop the hens from breaking and eating the eggs.. This is my last resort. Do you need a special instrument to do this so you don't break the egg apart? Thanks..

2. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    I just put pin hole in each end and blew! Good luck~

3. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:Thanks... sounds easy enough. The yolk will actuall fit through a pin hole?

4. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Yup, once it starts it get easier![​IMG]

5. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I shake mine really hard then put in the pin holes easier to get scrambled yoke out

6. setter4

setter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
    NO NO...you'll blow your ear drums out! lol I know I did .
    Get a syringe with a small tip (irrigation syringe works great) and use it to SUCK the egg out of the shell. You still need a hole in each end and the one for the syringe will be a little bigger but you can close it with Elmers glue and it SOOOOOO much easier than blowing them. [​IMG]
    I have lots of syringes and if you want one just e mail me at [email protected] with your snail mail and I'll be glad to send you one.

7. farmerbrown

farmerbrown Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    SW VA
    I like to put a hole in both ends and using a small wire to mix it all up. Blow, mix, blow, shake, and blow that should do it. I found a week old egg is not as hard as a fresh out of the chicken.

8. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:Thanks for the offer... I think I have some irrigation syringes. Are they the ones used to give oral meds to animals? Long tip (bendy plastic?) Thanks again for the help!

9. setter4

setter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
    Quote:Thanks for the offer... I think I have some irrigation syringes. Are they the ones used to give oral meds to animals? Long tip (bendy plastic?) Thanks again for the help!

Yep. That's the ones. Makes it so much easier!
    If anyone else needs a syringe just holler.

10. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    Quote:Oh, cool! Thanks for the instructions. Now I'm all ready for the first green or blue egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by