How do you age a chicken?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by crazyhen, Sep 13, 2008.

1. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I am still very new at this. How can I tell the age of a chicken without depending on the owner to be truthful with me? I bought mine and they are all surpose to be One year olds but I am doubtful. Jean

2. Hen Daddy

Hen Daddy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Can you post pictures of their face? Also, are they laying yet? Why are you doubtful? Do they look older?

We got a barred rock that looks OLDDDDDDDd, like almost dirt old, but we were told she was a pullet about 4-5 months old. She doesn't look it. But recently she is starting to show us signs that she may start to lay soon, so we will see what size her eggs are. If they are pullet eggs, than she really isnt super old, and if they are huge, than she is....waiting game for us.

Tell us why you think she's not her age and maybe we can help with that!

~Caran (forgot to login to my account again!)

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Thanks for hearing me, They are brahmas I bought at auction. I do not have pic's the farmer said they were a year old. They are molting no eggs yet. The reason I am doubtful is their legs. One has darker leg color than the other. both are active and are eating but I have not had them long enough for them to settle to lay yet ,I don't think. They have been with me only one week today. They sing and chase bugs in their run and are really fun to watch. jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by