1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you all do health checks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AimToMisbehave, Oct 10, 2015.

1. AimToMisbehave

AimToMisbehave Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2015
    Snohomish, WA
    I'm seeing a lot of people whose ducks are getting bumbles on their fwappity-stompers, and I want to be sure if any of my Runners gets one, I'll catch it early so treatment isn't as huge of a deal. What's the least-traumatic way I can keep watch over the bottom of their feet?

2. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Hehe, "fwappity-stompers", I love it!

Unfortunately, the only way to be sure is to catch 'em, and runners being skittish, this is easier said than done. Maybe try to grab one as they exit the coop, or take a flashlight inside the coop and round 'em up that way?

1 person likes this.
  3. jducour

jducour Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    My coop isn't big enough for me to sit in, but I will sit just outside it sometimes and grab a duck that walks past :) The best way I've found is to do it during the day with a big bag of meal worms. I will sit down, and while offering small handfuls of worms, I will grab each duck one at a time, and give it a good look over. I put her down, and grab another. They love these treats enough to put up with the intrusion. Even if you only do this once a week, you will be doing some good.

Grab the duck and feel it's crop and keel. Look into her eyes and nose, making sure they are clear. Move down the chest and feel the tummy and hips. Turn her over and examine her feet and legs. It takes about 20 seconds per duck, and the flock barely has time to notice.

3 people like this.
  4. AimToMisbehave

Jul 13, 2015
    Snohomish, WA
    It's the sound they make when they run on the driveway!

And yeah, I thought as much :/ they're just so quick!

5. AimToMisbehave

Jul 13, 2015
    Snohomish, WA

This is an awesome breakdown, thank you!!!

6. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I guess I'm lucky. I go out back and pick up whomever I need. I just bring peas with me. If it's one of my runner I can even get them to come in the back door to me. They love their peas. Also I think it's very important to get a baseline weight. I try to do monthly check but it's been about 2 months since their last check. This was very important not too long ago since I was able to see exactly how much weight one of my ducks lost and act quickly by tube feeding her. I knew she lost some weight but didn't realize it was 30% of her body weight. I use a kitchen scale and put a Tupperware container on top of it with the bird in that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by