How do you attract feral chickens to your yard?

Nats Chickens

Free Ranging
Jun 20, 2018
NSW, Australia
My Coop
My Coop
I have been hearing a lot of stories lately on BYC about people having feral or wild or lost chickens turning up in their yard. Does anyone have any tips on how to encourage chooks to come live in your yard?

I had a stray rooster show up last fall.he is partly the reason I got to thinking about chickens. Fascinating animal. He made his home across the way with a single hen after about a month of living on my property.

He just showed up one day. I came home from work and my fall decorations were moving..lol (he blended right in)

When I found him I said I wasn't going to feed him, two days later I had feed,mealworms, a waterer and food dish.

image.jpg

Well are there feral chickens in your area? It's subtropical there, yes? If you've seen any, you may be able to put out something they like to eat....

Your so lucky!

He drove me nuts, well not him, his safety. I was up at night checking on him in his tree all the time. I found him and a feral cat sleeping in the brush together. He was friends with the squirrels and used to eat with them. He would come running when he thought I had treats. Then he would disappear and I would think he got eaten. Couldn't catch him for anything either. I still go and visit him, he seems to remember me.

Here he is with his girlfriend

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom