1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you become a Moderator...

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by joebwe25, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joebwe25

joebwe25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo.
    How do you become a moderator or an administrator?
    I'm not interested in becoming one, I just wanted to know how you mods and admins became what you did.
    Even if I could, I don' have the time.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  2. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Great question!

All the moderators for this board were moderators on the ezBYC forum and came over to moderate here. The only exception in eggchel who I've known personally and met locally for a few years and who was instrumental in helping me with my chickens (plush she's just as nice and helpful as can be).

We often applaud our current moderators because of the time and effort they put into keeping this place going. We have a very diverse set of individuals moderating this board and while each of the BYC staff may approach a given situation a little differently, each one has a strong desire to help the community and to see it grow.

Moderators come and go (and some come back again), but in general, for BYC (or any other message board / forum for that matter) the requirements to be a moderator are:

1. Above all, you must have a love for the community and a strong desire to help it grow by keeping it a friendly and safe place for everyone and anyone to visit.

2. You must show maturity, decorum and common sense when dealing with other members of the forum.

3. You must have posted enough 'sensible' posts to gain a decent post count. This shows that you're engaged with the community and that you are already working for its betterment.

4. You must have been a member of the forum for at least 3 months and contributed regularly to the forum during this time.

5. A knowlege of poultry is preferred but not required... just a love of the community and the energy and desire to help fellow members.

2 people like this.
  3. eggcetra_farms

eggcetra_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    Great info! Good to know.

4. joebwe25

Feb 1, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo.
    Thanks! So do you ask, or does somebody pick you, or what?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  5. Nifty-Chicken

Usually people are invited to become moderators as they are needed. With this said I'm sure we'd happily accept applications so once we need new moderators we'll have a few people to look at first! [​IMG]

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:[​IMG] pick me [​IMG] pick me!

yeah yeah, I know, back to the corner...........

7. joebwe25

Feb 1, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo.
    So how 'bout administrators?
    I'd think it would be harder to become one of them.
    Is it?

8. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I have to say....being a moderator would be a thankless job. I for one....THANK YOU ALL MODS!! Great work! [​IMG]

9. joebwe25

Feb 1, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo.
    Post your thanks in my "Thanks Moderators" post.

10. Nifty-Chicken

Admin status is usually limited to one person, but sometimes a couple. Depends on the size of the community. With this forum software the moderators have lots of power to do everything needed to keep the forum running smoothly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by