How do you breed chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by sarahloveschickens, Nov 16, 2008.

1. sarahloveschickens

sarahloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I'm new to the chicken world.. and was just wondering how do I get my silkie rooster and my silkie hen to mate and have baby chicks?

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Just throw them in together and they will do the rest! [​IMG]

Oh! I came back to add that you might have to incubate some of the eggs if you're in a hurry. It all depends on the hen as to when she wants to decide to go broody and hatch some.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  3. sarahloveschickens

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:I do have them all in together.. 2 of my hens are laying and the rooster is fully grown.. I just dont know why there not mating...

4. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

it happens in a flash, they mate and then its done. they lay the egg, which is vertually the same as a non fertile egg, you incubate it, and then the chick forms, and then hatches, and yeah thats it in a nutshell..

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You probably just dont see it, but you can be assured it's happening if they are mature. How old are they?

6. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    my rooster was about a year old before he even thought about "doing the deed", then after that.. well. anyway, It also depends a lot on the hen, if she doesn't like him... Wont be having no chickies

PS. try sitting out there when you go to feed, seems to be the most common time for mine

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My roosters are wilder in the a.m. right when I let them out.

8. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:That's Brutus too! When I had Rhodey, that seemed to be his wild time also. Try watching them for awhile in the morning when you let them out. I'm sure the deed is being done and you just are missing it. It doesn't take the roos long to get the job done. It really is just a matter of seconds.

9. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

My rooster is 5-6 months and trying, all Im waiting for is the hens to start laying.

10. sarahloveschickens

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:Mine are about 8 months old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by