How do you breed for a Calico Cochin?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lazyoranch, Sep 26, 2010.

1. lazyoranch

lazyoranch Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Pleasant Hill
    I love these birds! How do I breed for some? Thanks in advance!

2. Lazy W Poultry

Lazy W Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Are you talking about the Millie Fleur Cochin?

3. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I have hatched some Calicos out of my Mille Fleurs. I think the "Calico" gene is in most of the Mille Fleurs. Or Breed Mille to Calico or Calico to Calico. If you have Mille Fleurs you are bound to get a few Calicos. [​IMG]

4. Hi! What is the difference between Calico and Mille Fleurs?
    Thanks!
    Lisa

5. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I'll post a pic of each tomorrow. Too late now. Time 4 bed. [​IMG]

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Calico has no standard, and different people mean different things by the term. With silkies, the original use was for splash displaying red. Some folks have morphed its use into other patterns, such as grey with red.

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    People breeding for excessive white in their mille fleur cochins here on BYC are calling them calico. It is not a name recognized anywhere else as far as I know. It is really pretty, seems like it is an expression of hysterical mottling, (mottling that goes further up the feather shaft than is standard mottling) combined with the mille fleur pattern. It can vary quite a bit, from very heavily speckled birds, to nearly all white from what I have seen. I generally don't produce it, but I do have a little cockerel chick that has about 75% white on his juvenile plumage, and the undercolor that I prefer in my breeders, as well as two adult pullets split to mille fleur with hysterical mottling. When he grows up, if he still has a lot of white, I plan to cross him on these two girls to see if it comes out calico. He has completely different parents than these two hens, so that is great for diversity.

[​IMG]

8. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Pretty birds!

9. PhoenixFeatherFarms

PhoenixFeatherFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Mooresville, IN
    Very pretty.. I love there black butts.. LOL!

10. lazyoranch

lazyoranch Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Pleasant Hill
    Yes, what I was referring to was a Mille Fleur Cochin that exhibits a great deal of white. So, if I understand this correctly, in breeding Mille Fleur Cochins, sometimes you will get some that exhibit a large amount of white--- and these are your Calicos???? Thanks for all of the replies and pictures!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by