How do you breed for a Calico Cochin?

I have hatched some Calicos out of my Mille Fleurs. I think the "Calico" gene is in most of the Mille Fleurs. Or Breed Mille to Calico or Calico to Calico. If you have Mille Fleurs you are bound to get a few Calicos.
wink.png

Calico has no standard, and different people mean different things by the term. With silkies, the original use was for splash displaying red. Some folks have morphed its use into other patterns, such as grey with red.

People breeding for excessive white in their mille fleur cochins here on BYC are calling them calico. It is not a name recognized anywhere else as far as I know. It is really pretty, seems like it is an expression of hysterical mottling, (mottling that goes further up the feather shaft than is standard mottling) combined with the mille fleur pattern. It can vary quite a bit, from very heavily speckled birds, to nearly all white from what I have seen. I generally don't produce it, but I do have a little cockerel chick that has about 75% white on his juvenile plumage, and the undercolor that I prefer in my breeders, as well as two adult pullets split to mille fleur with hysterical mottling. When he grows up, if he still has a lot of white, I plan to cross him on these two girls to see if it comes out calico. He has completely different parents than these two hens, so that is great for diversity.

8084_hysterical.jpg

Yes, what I was referring to was a Mille Fleur Cochin that exhibits a great deal of white. So, if I understand this correctly, in breeding Mille Fleur Cochins, sometimes you will get some that exhibit a large amount of white--- and these are your Calicos???? Thanks for all of the replies and pictures!!!!

Back
Top Bottom