how do you buy chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by missrose, Oct 17, 2009.

1. missrose

missrose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    Ive been looking all over the web to find any hatcheries that will let me buy 3 chicks. i want some delawares. why are there,st run,pullets,and cokerels, and why are they there?
    i am confused and need help and maybe some referral sites.

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    The only site that I know of that will sell small numbers of chicks is MPC.

They use some type of heated shipping box, so they can ship fewer chicks.

3. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, 3 is a very tiny amount. It's not as safe to ship only a few chicks...they need each other for warmth and safety. Check out My Pet Chicken, they might ship 3. The other option is to check your local feed store. My feed store (Steinhausers) will put several customer's orders together so you can get exactly what you want.

As for the terms you were asking about...

Pullets - all females

Cockerels - all males

Straight Run - males and females, however they hatched out (usually around 50/50, but could be different)

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Also, Meyer Hatchery. [​IMG]

Straight run: chicks that aren't sexed (you don't know what gender they are)

Pullets: chicks that are sexed as girls

Males/cockerels: chicks that are sexed as boys

Hatcherys can tell males from females at one day of age, through vent-sexing, which is basically looking up their vent to see if a certain organ is visible...that's how they tell the boys from the girls. Most hatcheries will have you choose if you want males, females, or a surprise. (Straight run.)

I used Meyer hatchery and they did okay with my small order of chicks. They use a special heat pack for an order of only a few birds. The heat pack keeps them toasty warm for a few days and then wears off. They also use a smaller box. Most hatcheries that have this small order policy do this the same way.

Edited to add: [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  5. missrose

Oct 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    I can not thank you enough!(all) i will try multiple things and tell you how it goes!
    the only thing about mpc is that they ddont carry ANY delawares!
    wish me luck![​IMG]

PS. what is a bamtam?[​IMG]

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

A bantam is a minuature verson of a chicken. [​IMG] Like some breeds will come in a standard size (Large fowl) and then there are smaller ones that can be half or even a quarter of the size (Bantams). Think of it as miniature poodle vs. standard poodle. [​IMG]

Also adding, only a few hatcheries will sex bantams, because they are smaller and more fragile than large fowl chicks. MPC sexes bantams but they cost more.

7. missrose

Oct 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    ok and one not so related Q, what is the quietist and most lovable breed of chicken? ( I am trying to find my fave breed to buy)

8. GardenGranny

GardenGranny Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    Augusta, GA
    I got a Delaware from MPC in September, along with 7 other chicks. Maybe they are out of them now. The number they will ship depends on how close you are to a major city.

9. LittleMamaBigPapa

LittleMamaBigPapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    Quote:BUFF ORPINGTONS ARE THE SWEETEST

VIEW my page ---> https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=28936 <---

I can hold my Buffs, hug them & kiss on them, and they run to me and jump in my lap when I sit down.....I raised them from day old chicks in my house for 6 weeks. AND my Buff Orp Rooster cuddles in my husband's neck!!!

10. LittleMamaBigPapa

LittleMamaBigPapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    Buff Orp - Daisy - our chicks fell asleep in our hands after playing!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by