How do you call this breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by libedavi, Sep 16, 2016.

1. libedavi

libedavi New Egg

Mar 20, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Can anybody identify my rooster, I know the dad is Barred rock.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Both roosters pictured are mixed breeds.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    mixed

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Mixed breeds

5. libedavi

libedavi New Egg

Mar 20, 2014
    I thought all varieties of Plymouth Rock were Produced by Crossing Barred Rock with other chicken breed. His Dad is Barred Rock. I was thinking of Silver Pencilled Rock. But I'm not sure.. Thanks for all the comments

6. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Each variety may have had some common ancestor stock at some point, but each variety was developed separately. Also, when you cross two varieties, you no long have 'purebred' birds. You have birds that no longer meet the breed standard for either variety and they will not breed true. This is the definition of a mixed breed. Chicken breeds are not like dog breeds. It's not based on lineage. A bird is defined as a specific breed if it meets the standard for both build and color/pattern, and breeds true.

7. drumstick diva

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Junebuggena, I never knew that. I think you are saying if a bird meets the SOP, it IS that breed, whether it came from mixed parentage or not.

I used to raise & show dogs. Someone I knew used two purebred parents (Cockers)but, unknown to him, a different breed of dog also got to the female. His assistant didn't want to tell him because it was her dog(Lab).

Fast forward puppies arrived - some looked like Labs, some looked like cockers. He sold the Cocker ones as AKC purebreds. The labs he sold as Labradors but, without papers. I'm sure AKC would have disbarred him. He was a very vengeful person, I didn't dare tell AKC. I didn't see it happen and his assistant would have denied the whole thing.

I didn't know enough about canine genetics but, I assumed somewhere down the line the cocker like ones even bred to a pure cocker, might throw some pups with lab traits. The owners would assume it was a "slip up," at their end.

Is that something that could happen with a , lets say Buff orpington chick from mixed breeding that met the SOP, was later bred to pure Orp - is there a chance it would have some chick or chicks that looked like the mix in parentage.

Hope you can figure out what I am trying to say because I can't.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm right there with you, Diva. Drives me insane when folks say a bird is a pure bred, when both parents were different breeds.

I have a sport bird I hatched out that could be a white Ameraucana. No idea how I got this white bird.....but she looks like the real deal. Pure white, beard/muffs, pea comb, slate shanks, right body shape. Only thing is she's not laid an egg yet, so I'm waiting just out of curiosity. Now, I could sell her as a pure bred Ameraucana if she lays blue eggs. Thing is, I've never, ever, once owned a pure Ameraucana hen. I've owned roosters, but no hens. So, in my mind, this bird simply can NOT be an Ameraucana, no matter what she looks like. Right? But, I know she won't breed true, cause honestly I have no idea who her momma was. She may carry all sorts of funky recessive genes that would come out down the road. I'll keep her and maybe breed her just to see what I get, but I could never sell her as a pure bred bird.

Anyway, sorry for the rabbit trail OP. I agree, you have mixed breed cockerels.

9. drumstick diva

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you donrae,. My son says I over think things. Ya think???

10. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Your girl may look like a 'pure' Ameraucana, but she wouldn't breed true like one. There is where the difference lies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by