1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you call this chicken breed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Billy The Kid, May 27, 2016.

1. Billy The Kid

Billy The Kid New Egg

May 25, 2016
    Hello. This is my first participation in the fórum.

So I will make a brief presentation. I'm a portuguese guy who really likes raising chickens, ducks, turkeys etc...

The thing is, this week I bought a couple of chickens of a breed I didn't know before, in Portugal is called "galinha da guiné" wich translated to english is "guinea chicken".

I'll let you the Picture of the chickens here so you can make your own judgement. If you can't see the chicken well enough you can Google "galinha da guine"and you'll get good pictures.

Thanks and expect more from me, just as I expect from you haha
    [​IMG]
    ps: pardon my english if there is something wrong with it

~[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Bom dia and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us.

Your English is perfectly fine - don't worry about that.

What you have there are guinea fowl. They are not chickens, they won't act like them and they will make one heck of a noise! [​IMG] I'd suggest that you read up on guinea fowl on the "Guinea fowl" forum and type Guinea fowl in the search box for further info.

Half way through this post and pipped by Chicken Girl - [​IMG].

Good luck

1 person likes this.
  4. Billy The Kid

Billy The Kid New Egg

May 25, 2016
    Thanks both of you for the info. I really thought that this could be a different type of animal other than chicken but since everyone here calls them chickens... well... my bad

But since these are not chickens, do they have a different number of cromossomes than chickens?

Thanks, I will read more on Guinea Fowl

5. Billy The Kid

Billy The Kid New Egg

May 25, 2016
    Haha look

"Guinea fowl were introduced into Europe by 15th century Portuguese explorers, and then arrived in North America with the early settlers."

I guess I am na ignorant portuguese then, since my own brought this species from Africa and I had no idea

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hahaha, your fine :). I can't really help you regarding info on Guinea fowl since I haven't owned any. But if you star a thread in the "Guinea fowl" forum I'm sure people will be able to help you.

7. Billy The Kid

Billy The Kid New Egg

May 25, 2016

Yes I guess I will do that. The man who sold me those also told me a lot. They are a lot like chickens when it comes to raising them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by