1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you candle Brown eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Poultrybonkers, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    And do you use a flashlight? how bright does the light need to be?

2. packmomma

packmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    Honestly I asked the same question. I am now advising to wait till day 17 and check from top to bottom and if you only see an air cell your good to go lol. Brown eggs suck to candle. I did however buy a new super bright led flashlight. It blinded me in the store. It was at lowes and was a coastline tacticle flashlight. It has 108 lumens. I hope to have better luck this time around.

3. Master_of_none

Master_of_none New Egg

Oct 2, 2011
    I bought this one from Lowes. It is model # SL5W09L. It has 192 lumens. It has a rechargeable battery that they claim will last the life of the unit. I paid $40 +tax. That's a little high for this purpose. But, I can get many other uses out of it. I made a little cone from card stock and taped it with several layers of painter's tape. The smaller end is 1 1/2". I don't have any candling pics yet, but, I candled my brown Buff Orpington eggs on day 5 and a couple on day 6. I could easily see veining and an eye. I would think any LED flashlight with high lumens would work depending on how dark and thick your eggs are. There are a lot of options. Good luck to you.

[​IMG]

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    You may also want to consider the "float test".

5. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

all my eggs are brown, and i use a small standard flashlight. usually on the real dark ones it takes till about day ten to see anything, but usually around day 5 i can see in them.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I use this shop lamp with a 65 watt halogen light bulb and I put foil on the inside of the cardboard.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Checking the eggs for cracks.
    [​IMG]

Sorry this pic is so fuzzy.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by