How do you catch a runaway chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Twinkkitten, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Twinkkitten

Twinkkitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    My Polish Crested baby got out today. Got my work schedule changed and my girls ran and followed me out of the gate. My 3 one year olds were easy to shoo back in the gate, but Ola ran away. Chased her for 3 blocks and finally she tried to hide. I snuck up on her and took me 10 more minutes to grab her. Finally. Got her home and gave her a fruit treat. There must be an easier way? I used to leave home before they woke up. This may be a challenge!:/

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    In my experience, chasing never works. I can usually get them to go anywhere I want with a handful of black oil sunflower seeds though.

1 person likes this.
  3. NinjaRooster

NinjaRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2013
    The Corner
    Go around her (like a radius of 20 feet) and chase her back. Don't bother too much with trying to catch.

1 person likes this.
  4. Twinkkitten

Twinkkitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    She ran! My other girls are easy to circle back. Ola up and ran like the sky was falling for 3 blocks. I will try to keep sunflower seeds on hand but hopefully it wont happen again. I will put her in the coop, open the gate, get my bike out, then let her out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by