how DO you catch a 'stray' roo????

spish

De Regenboog Kippetjes
13 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Belgium
for the past week or two ive noticed a stray roo round our property, i thought he was just passing through but seems to have settled somewhere in the fields.
my 11 roo's have made sure until now he's kept his distance but he gets closer to the hen houses by the day and my roos seem to be 'accepting' his presence in the background now (they are no longer so quick to go chase him off)

but im worried what he could be harbouring (parasites/mites/illness??) and would rather he stayed away to be honest! but if he's looking for a home who am i to turn him away?

so first things first.....if i want to 'treat' him, i have to try and catch him...but everytime i even open the gate on the field...he flies/flaps away. i spent 2 hours last night searching under/ontop/in the bushes/shrubs/as high up the trees as i could get but cant find where he's roosting? (thought it would be easier to catch him at night...!)

so.....how do you catch a 'wild' roo...when you cant get near him or see where he's sleeping?

Last edited:
Follow him at dusk to find where he's roosting, then just go pick him up while he sleeps.
You should quarantine for 30 days to make sure he isn't sick or carrying any parasites. Check him over for lice/mites, worm him, watch for any respiratory problems: runny nose, crusty, or off looking eyes, etc. Any problems can be treated while in quarantine without risking your entire flock.
Good luck!

Last edited:
thats the problem im not home at dusk..im in work then so by the time i get back its already dark

Hire a neighborhood kid to track him down.
big_smile.png

xD!! Well, when our crazy rooster gets lost, I always (Hes scared of ANYTHING that moves,) try to corner him, if you can wait until hes inside a cage etc or something, then you can corner hiim (Have someone behind you so if e escapes you they'll be another guard,) But go slowly, copy his moves and yeah ^^ Good luck!
big_smile.png
D:D
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
:
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom