How do YOU choose which chicks to keep and which to sell?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mandelaykay, Aug 10, 2011.

1. mandelaykay

mandelaykay Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    Here is the issue that I have. I have a hundred silkie eggs in the incubator. I have room for 3-4 more chickens. I am just getting into showing. I have two pairs right now. A white and a Splash. The splash pair are both show quality. The white pullet is missing a toenail otherwise she would be great and my white cockeral has some filling out to do. Do I keep the Splash pair and work on bbsp? Also how do you choose your chicks? I know to look for toe spacing. What else should I look for. How long before I can get an idea of what they will look like?
    I know that there is no way of knowing for sure until they are adults but I will need to sell some chicks right off because I do not have the space to have a ton of chicks. Suggestions anyone???[​IMG]

2. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    You should talk to George from Albeq, NM and maybe amber waves you can google either one of the and they might help you.. Georges silkies or amber waves silkies.. Good luck..

3. chicken farmer 1997

chicken farmer 1997 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    i will buy some baby silkies off of you for a 1.50 each.

4. okiedrifter

okiedrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    might wanna wait to see how many hatch.....then decide which colors judges in your area like..and which you want to show...then sell the rest....

5. mandelaykay

mandelaykay Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    Ok thanks for the help everyone

6. trophywife

trophywife Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    baldwin
    I would be more than happy to take a silkie from you, I am getting 2 from InidgoEgg

Do you have pictures of the momma and poppa?

I dont think youre going to have any trouble getting those little guys off your hands [​IMG]

7. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    Quote:I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

8. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Well this is a question that I need answered too. I have 25 coming this week from Ideal. They were on special and now I am hearing that they don't sell nice ones. Maybe no beards.
    I want to know what to see in them when they arrive too.
    I have waited all summer for silkie chicks and if this turns out badly, I will sell them all off and forget it.
    I have gone through one factory order that failed due to heat and now I am told that Ideal's silkies are not nice ones.
    I bought a group of eggs off ebay and they did not hatch.
    This is SUMMER SILKIE DISAPPOINTMENT!!! [​IMG]

9. TwinMapleRanch

TwinMapleRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    N/W PA
    I would be interested in a couple splash babies, if you end up with some! I have some white silkies coming from a breeder, but would like a couple nice splash babies to go in with my blues & black. [​IMG]
    Linda in N/W PA

10. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Lil'ChickFarm :

Well this is a question that I need answered too. I have 25 coming this week from Ideal. They were on special and now I am hearing that they don't sell nice ones. Maybe no beards.
    I want to know what to see in them when they arrive too.
    I have waited all summer for silkie chicks and if this turns out badly, I will sell them all off and forget it.
    I have gone through one factory order that failed due to heat and now I am told that Ideal's silkies are not nice ones.
    I bought a group of eggs off ebay and they did not hatch.
    This is SUMMER SILKIE DISAPPOINTMENT!!! [​IMG]

I got mine from Ideal and not a single bearded one in the bunch, I still love em though!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by